Team Criteria for Athletes
In addition to agreeing to follow the USAT Competitive Rules, team members must meet all of the following criteria:
1) Consistently placing in the top three in their age group (preferably winning the race or their age group) in the local and regional race circuit, refer to team schedule for events.
Each November the team for the following year will be selected based upon the athlete’s performance in the key local races.
Each team member shall make their best effort to race a minimum of four of the specified team events. To be considered each year, the athlete must race the key races. Sign up early for the key local races, not getting in the races is not an excuse.
The athlete’s placement at team events will be scored as follows:
1st Overall 7 points
2nd Overall 5 points
3rd Overall 4 points
1st Age Group 3 points
2nd Age Group 2 points
3rd Age Group 1 point
For team scoring purposes, there will be no extra points for winning Masters, Grandmasters, etc. The winners of those categories will be put back into the age group category when determining points. The top three overall will be excluded from the applicable Age Groups when calculating points.
If you score by placing in the top three overall, you do not double score by adding points from your age group.
In the event of a tie, the first tie breaker goes to the existing team member. The second tie breaker adds the score of a fifth local race, thus encouraging athletes to race often in the key local races. The third tie breaker current year USAT ranking.
There are a limited number of slots on the team and the slots are for athletes deemed to be “elite” at the key local races. As a general rule of thumb, athletes should place in the top 7% of the overall finishers in at least three of the key local races with variability considered per field size. Existing Team members over 50 are grandfathered in on the top 7% Overall requirement.
Team members will be in the following age groups: 15-19 through 65-69.
The top two in each age group will be selected, assuming they meet the remaining criteria below.
There can be additional slots available, depending on the budget, if the athletes are not in the top two in their age group by scoring, but are in the top 33% of the scoring of all the team members and/or are deemed to be competing for the overall win at the key races. This is to allow deserving athletes in the most competitive age groups.
Note - you have to earn your spot each year. You may not make the team for the next year. Train up and perform.
2) Live and train in the Gulf Coast Region.
3) Upon approval of at least 90% of the current team members, there may be an additional slot or two for individuals who are close, but do not strictly meet the performance criteria outlined in #1, but add a tangible asset to the team such as manager, web site master, doctor and/or securing sponsorship.
4) Team members are required to demonstrate a high degree of sportsmanship, encourage all triathletes, promote the sport of triathlon and be socially compatible with the overall team. Excessive penalties in races, foul language at races, and any form of classless behavior will not be allowed.
5) Team members will wear their team race kits while racing at the key local races and the team tech shirts at the awards ceremonies. As we need to look like a team and promote our sponsors, the team kits and shirts are our best and main means of promotion.
6) Maintain annual membership with USAT.